Sunday, May 15, 2011

American Girl A Kit Mystery Midnight in Lonesome Hollow



Midnight in Lonesome Hollow is a 1930's mystery starring Kit Kittredge of the American Girl Doll Series.


This book is set in Kentucky in 1934 where Kit is going to visit her Aunt Millie to help her set up a library.


The writer Kathleen Ernst has done a great job in looking at the traditions of the place and time whilst placing an emphasis on learning and reading without it being "thrown in your face". The book teaches you a lot about the 1930's whilst still sucking you into a good mystery. Don't get me wrong it's not a huge mystery but the charm of the book teaching you about The Great Depression with a mystery involvement is wonderful as long as your one who enjoys learning about history.


Kit comes across as quite a lot younger than Julie in the Julie Mystery series although this really isn't the case. I wonder why that is? I'll have to think further on that one as I read more Kit and Julie mysteries. I got more of both whilst in the USA this year.

But I have also found the website www.bookdepository.co.uk has free shipping worldwide and I can pick up more in the American Girl Mystery Series really cheaply.


One negative, being set in Kentucky rather than on home soil Kit doesn't have best friend Ruthie there for the story which is a shame, I'm a huge Ruthie fan.

No comments:

Post a Comment